I write this with tears of Love to the most wonderful soul that always encouraged her grandchildren to write their inner feelings .
Grandma Fay as you lay so lovingly in our hearts.
We feel at peace because memories and time with you will never cease.
Your light will always shine so brightly even within our darkest of nights.
You will never die, as a piece of your light is in each of us and continues to shine brilliantly, passing on for generations to follow.
Your unique and extraordinary story will continue in the stories that will write themselves as your light spreads around the world.
Your example leads us all on the path less travelled.
Thank you; for making us a part of you; for loving our Grandpa; for your children; for our lives; for our children and for future generation; for always being extraordinary; for your inspiration;, for your strength; for your love of knowledge and education; for your writings and teachings; for your laughter and smile; for your adventurous spirit and your open mindedness; for your respect of diversity and respect of all creatures, for all your LOVE, for your patience and provision for this aiga; for all your Love and for forever memories. Most of all I thank God for giving us you.
Your Grand Children and Great Grand Children are honored and privileged to carry, guard, and pass on your light.
I wanted to share with you, with apologies to Grandma, my lack of understanding why she would always collect the oddest gifts from her travels to be wrapped beautifully and gifted to all her Grand Children for Christmas. As a naive child growing up on the plantations at Lotofaga, I always questioned why she would give us these small nic naks as presents. I never looked forward to Grandma's Christmas gifts. Sometimes, it would be the last gift out out of the pile I would open, and after opening her Christmas gift I would be quick to try and pawn it off or bargain for another trinket or candy. I desperately wanted to exchange it for something, anything from my siblings or cousins. I would always wonder why she would wrap them so beautifully in paper that cost more than the gift itself. Grandma's gifts were:
-napkins from a restaurant she ate at when she traveled,
-umbrellas from a drink she drank when she traveled,
-soap/sewing kit/shower cap from a hotel she stayed at,
-pictures and cards from places she traveled to and from,
-peanuts from the airlines she took,
-maps of places she traveled to.
Our Grandma Fay loved to travel, and as a child from the plantation I was unable to travel with her. To me, though, my Grandma traveled to the most exotic, dangerous, scary, adventurous and beautiful foreign countries. I always wondered why she did not pick up a doll, toy or even some candies for Christmas presents.
Grandma, I now know why you gave us Grand Children the most precious and meaningful gifts ever. You wanted all of your Grand Children to open their minds to the world. You wanted us to accept, experience, and see the world through your adventurous traveling spirit.
Thank you Grandma for bringing the world to us. You are our world...
Ia manuia lava lou malaga Grandma until we meet again,
Rest in Peace,
Your Grandchildren,
Always and forever,
Our Grandma's song for all of us before we would eat as a family together:
" Oh, the Lord is good to me
And, so I thank the Lord,
For giving me the things I need,
The sun, the rain and the apple tree
The Lord is good to me,
Hip Hip Hooray, Hip Hip Hooray, Hip Hip Hooray "
Thank you Lord for giving us what we all so dearly needed - Our Grandma Fay